How to Order Tax Return Transcript & W2 Transcript from the IRS

If you, your spouse (if married) or your parents (if dependent) need to document your taxable income to Fill out a FAFSA application or to fulfill verification requirements, you can request an IRS Tax Transcript free of charge. Remember that we can no longer accept copies of the tax returns you or your tax preparer completed. You may only submit documents that come directly from the IRS to complete verification of your tax return information.   Note, a “RETURN TRANSCRIPT” will show a full summary of your tax information.  If you made changes to your tax forms and filed an Amended tax form, the Financial Aid office will also need an “ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPT”. 


  1. Online Request

    Go to the IRS Web site at  Under the “Tools” section, click “Get Transcript of Your Tax Records”
    The “ONLINE” option will give you access to a printable version of your requested form, the “MAIL” option will request information via post mail.
    When using the “MAIL” option, to avoid validation issues, it is best to enter the tax filer’s information as it was entered on the original tax form when entering the tax filer’s social security number, date of birth, street address, and zip or postal code. If your information does not validate, you may need to use a different option to retrieve your information.  

    If the tax filer’s information is successfully validated, you will be prompted with an option of transcripts. Make sure you choose the correct tax year.
  2. Telephone Request

    Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946. Follow the prompts to enter required information and select the IRS Tax “Return Transcript” option:

    • You will be asked to enter the tax filer’s social security number and verify the entered information.
    • You will be asked to enter the numbers on the address entered on the tax filer’s tax forms not including the zip code, without special characters such as commas, periods, numeric pound sign (, . #), etc, and without any letters .  For example:  For address 423 Student Ave Apt#1C, Bronx N.Y. 10499, you will enter 4231.
    • You will be asked to choose a “RETURN TRANSCRIPT” or “Account Transcript”.

      If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
  3. Mail Request

    Mail a “4506-T” (Request for Transcript of Tax Return) form, which can be found on the “Printable Forms” section of our webpage (  Be sure to choose “RETURN TRANSCIPT”.  You also have the option of requesting W2 forms.